SOLDIERS MEMORIAL HALL
30 November 1922, Governor Sir Matthew Nathan unveiled the Memorial
Window in the Soldiers Memorial Hall. Money for
the window was raised by Mrs Cameron and ladies of the Ipswich Train
Tea Society who were a dedicated group that met every train at Ipswich
Railway Station to provide troops with tea and refreshments.
The design of the window was by William Bustard and work was
carried out by R. S. Exton and Company, Brisbane, under the instruction
of Mr C.H. Lancaster. It is in memory of the men
who gave their lives in WWI and depicts St Michael as the Angel of
Victory with outspread wings embracing four soldier figures from the
9th, 15th and 26th battalions and the 5th Light Horse.
The border of grape vines symbolises life.
In the 1980s the window was moved to the RSL Services Club at
North Ipswich, but was returned to the hall in November 2006.
Soldiers Memorial Hall
By The Governor Sir Mathew Nathan
November 26 1921
Photo Courtesy of Clare